Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Perfect Fall Chicken


Nothing says lovin' like roast chicken in the oven--and if you add some beautiful citrus and herbs, it's even better!


This recipe, from my friend and fellow blogger Jodi Liano (mmmthatsgood.blogspot.com)
couldn't be simpler. It's a simple oven braise of chicken thighs, white wine, olive oil, garlic and fresh herbs. Toss everything in a baking dish at a super low heat.... let it go for a few hours... uncover it so it can get nice and toasty brown.. and you're good to go!



I have to admit, I make this dish all the time for my family, and many of my personal chef clients have also enjoyed this juicy, yummy chicken!






Pan Roasted Chicken with Citrus & Fresh Herbs


8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs

1 head garlic, separate into unpeeled cloves
1 1/2 lemons, cut into chunks

1/2 orange, cut into chunks

10 fresh thyme sprigs
5 fresh rosemary sprigs

3 Tbsp olive oil

2/3 cup white wine


Preheat oven to 300F. Put chicken pieces into a roasting pan and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Add garlic, lemon, orange, thyme and rosemary. Add oil and mix everything together with your hands, then spread the mixture out, making sure chicken pieces are skin side up.


Pour white wine over all. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 2 hours. Remove foil and turn up oven to 400F. Cook uncovered chicken for another 30-45 minutes, until meat is golden brown and citrus has started to caramelize at the edges. Serves 4-6.

3 comments:

  1. OK...i love thighs, and I think this is dinner may be tomorrow. Lily is having a couple of friends over to swim after school, this would be great for them to eat, and for me to still be able to get to back to school night too.
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cooked this last night. I was lucky to get any, as two hungry girls got there before me. But when I did eat, it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, that was delicious! Thanks, Christa (and Jodi :-)!

    ReplyDelete