Monday, April 11, 2011

channeling my inner martha


In the beautiful world of pastry, so many things entice me...French macarons, brioche, tarts, mousses and meringues... and one always sits squarely at the bottom of my list--cake decorating.
You either love it or you hate it. You know where I stand.
So when a client asked for six dozen decorated Easter cookies, I smiled bravely and said "but of course!"
I baked the cookies (no prob)... mixed up quarts of royal icing (piece of cake)... then looked for divine intervention.

The mistress of all things cute answered my call. Martha.
She gave me strength to dig out those tips, fill those pastry bags and get to work.
I decided to dip the eggs for a smooth look... so far, so good.
Then it was time to build-a-bunny... and I went into production mode.
A little toothpick art for the spring butterflies..... and I was actually having fun.
Then Mia wanted to join team for the Olympic event of piping-and-flooding chicks and eggs.. followed by wet-on-wet dots, beaks and eyes. We needed a few glasses of wine after that one .

At the end of the day, I have to admit that although I felt like a preschool teacher with a spring art project (missed that glitter, though!), it was fun in a goofy sort of way. I have nothing but admiration for people who decorate so effortlessly... and beautifully. As for me, I'm dying to get my paws on some bread dough!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Now maybe some hot cross buns...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christa...these are so cute! I just did white crosses with sanding sugar and Wills' monogram for his First Communion (can you believe I'm doing all that again!). What's your favorite sugar cookie recipe. I played with a couple and came up with a favorite but still would like a better-tasting cookie.

    ReplyDelete