Friday, October 22, 2010

made to order

I got a phone call the other day that reminded me of why I love working as a personal chef (among my hundred other food jobs!)

The call was for a week's worth of dinners--a gift from one friend to another to celebrate the birth of her second child. What a really thoughtful gift for a tired mom! And just the kind of work I love--cooking delicious, nourishing food for an appreciative audience!

The rest of our conversations were online... favorite foods, likes/dislikes... we settled on a kind of mix-and-match, heat when you're hungry kind of approach.

I spent a day simmering Chicken Cacciatore (my mouth is watering just thinking of it!)... a Roasted Poblano Pork Stew to serve over soft Polenta... a hearty Provencal Vegetable Soup with Pistou swirled in... Salmon with Salsa Verde... Grilled Vegetables... a Quinoa Salad with Pears, Apples and Walnut Vinaigrette... and a Classic Chicken Noodle Soup that even a kid would love.
Everything was labeled, packaged for refrigerating or freezing, and had reheating instructions.
I tucked it all into the mighty Prius (my idea of the perfect catering-mobile) and headed south, for delivery.
I was greeted by a grateful mom, an excited two year old and a sleeping newborn.
A nice feeling knowing I was helping to put a delicious dinner on the table!

2 comments:

  1. What fun! I want a week's worth of cooked to order meals...hmmm - maybe I'll add that to my Xmas list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that would be a great christmas present.. I actually got a week's worth of dinners as a wedding gift from a friend who had just graduated from culinary school.. and I still remember it 29 years later!!

    ReplyDelete