Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Passion for Gadgets

My father is a mad inventor. He has a passion for gadgets, and the best gadgets of all are the ones he makes himself out of recycled materials found at garage sales.... things with wheels or latches or automatic watering systems. So it came as no surprise when he ordered this hand-cranked apple peeler-corer-and slicer... a really ingenious little gadget. This baby made him a whiz in the kitchen--he could get a dish of sliced apples, sugar and cinnamon in the microwave (ovens are way too slow!) in a matter of minutes! The apple machine was a big hit with the grandkids, too, who loved to see the whole apples magically turn into slices with no pesky seeds!



I, of course, had visions of buttery French tarts when I saw the perfectly sliced apples... the crisp puff pastry and rich almond cream framing a fan of beautiful apples.


I was in heaven when I opened my birthday gift this year and found my very own hand-cranked apple peeler-corer-slicer. Now every time the inspiration hits me, I can whip up an apple tart, cake, or crisp... the slow way, in the oven. And, I admit, I think it's a little bit magic, too.
Thanks, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment